Thursday, February 26, 2009

DONE WITH 3RD YEAR!!!!!


Today marked the last day of my 3rd year of medical school! Pretty amazing how fast time flies. I have been privledged to have so many patients teach me so many things: about life, disease, dealing with the good, and finding a way to cope with the bad. I am really grateful for the opportunity I have had to had such a glimpse.
I finished my Pscyhiatry SHELF exam and decided to head out to the water. I was originally planning on heading down to the South Fork of the Shenandoah River this weekend, but the weather is scheduled to be rainy and snowy. So, deciding to take advantage of the 55 degree weather, I packed up the boat and headed out to Rivanna Reservoir.

My goal today was to head down the longest fork of the Rivanna. I wanted to spend some more time flatwater paddling. There was no wind and I made great time. Slowly snaking my way back down the res, I thought a bunch about the upcoming trip. I tried to think about the challenges I would face, and how I would deal with them. The time passed quickly and before I knew it I was at a riffle that I couldn't pass without getting out of the boat. Deciding the temps were favorable enough, I went "suns out guns out." In the process my glasses dropped down into the drink. Bummer. I spent the next several minutes fishing around for them, dropping down into the 33 degree water. In the picture below is that riffle. Luckily, I found 'em. Turning around I started paddling back.

Close to the car I passed by the UVa boathoase. The UVa crew team was hitting the water and I had a chance to see the Hoos paddling. GO HOOS. Anyhow, I finished up and got back to the car. I paddled 12.15 miles, not too bad for a fun little afternoon paddle.
Other news. I am in the process of looking for a sail for the boat. I want to maximize my efficiency on the large reservoirs, and a sail will increase my speed substantially. More on this as information comes in. Anyhow, off to the end of third year party, and the more USMLE Step 2 studying.

Until next time......

No comments: